The top 5 things that helped me feel my best at 40
I recently turned 40, which IS only a number... but turning a new decade always seems to trigger some form of reflection for me. What did I do in my 30's? Have I changed? What accomplishments have I met? I answered a lot of my own questions of course, and although I could write forever about things I have learned, and ways I HAVE changed, ultimately, I broke it down into 5 main things that I believe have helped me feel my best at 40.
#1. I made the decision to learn more about my body
If you've read my first blog post, "My Story with Thyroid Disease", you understand why I took charge of learning more about my body. I've had thyroid disease for over 10 years, and probably longer. It was in 2009 when I started having symptoms, and this would play out to be an interesting thyroid history including biopsies, imaging, and surgery. Personally, I was scared, because I was having so many increasingly strange symptoms. People would say, "you're getting older, it's normal to be tired" but I knew this was different, something was wrong in my body. It's not normal to have a regular work day and barely have enough energy to drive home. It kills me knowing that so many people suffer in silence thinking this is normal for them as they age. You shouldn't feel 80 at 30. Period. I had lots of bloodwork done, I read a ton of books, listened to as many podcasts as I could by specialists, and started making some changes in my diet and lifestyle. These are all just pieces of the puzzle, and I still don't have all the answers. But I do know I feel A LOT better, many of my symptoms such as migraines, brain fog, and carpel tunnel have subsided, and I have way more energy! Whether you have thyroid concerns or not, always consult your doctor, but also do some legwork yourself (preferably before you visit them to ask the right questions). Your doctor is likely overworked, and it's nearly impossible for them to keep up on up to date research and treatment options. Your health is ultimately YOUR responsibility, and once I came to realize this, everything changed. I'm a huge nerd with anything hormone related, autoimmunity, and nutritional health. We are lucky to have so many free educational resources at our fingertips! I love sharing resources, and some wonderful educators that I follow, and have helped me, are here:
Dr. Izabella Wentz, Thyroid Pharmacist
Dr. Andrew Huberman, Neuroscience Professor
Dr. Rhonda Patrick, Biomedical Scientist
Dr. Datis Kharrazian, Functional Medicine Practitioner
Dr. Mark Hyman, Family Physician in Functional Medicine
#2. I've learned to say "yes" AND "no"
This one takes practice. I wouldn't be where I am today if I didn't say "yes" a lot. I'm a big believer in taking every opportunity that comes my way to learn, become more confident, and better myself. Growth is important, and this means getting out of your comfort zone. However, I have also learned that saying "yes" all the time will burn you out. You need to learn where your limit is, and not feel guilty when your mind and body need rest. Listen to your body to know (when you're gut is telling you) it's not the right time to take on another task.
#3. I started prioritizing sleep
In my early 30's I used to be one of the "I'll sleep when I'm dead" people. Ugh. I cringe at this now. Sleep is, and will continue to be, one of the most important things we can do to improve our health and wellness. It's not normally what people want to hear, but once I started winding down and getting into bed a lot earlier- I'm talking 9pm on average- I felt so much better. Everyone is different. However, most people are not getting enough restful sleep let alone 8-9 hours per night. I've learned lowering the temperature of the bedroom, keeping the animals out, making the room as dark as possible, and turning off all electronics will make a difference! I even bought an old school alarm clock so I can fully turn my cell off at night and not worry about distractions or EMF's next to my head at night. I've learned that I'm someone who needs at least 8 hours of sleep to feel my best, and now I make it a priority.
#4. I started adding strength training to my exercise routine
I'm a big believer in doing ANY exercise that makes you move. The best movement is the movement that you're actually going to do. That said, there is a ton of evidence suggesting strength training improves overall wellbeing and longevity. We gradually lose muscle mass if we don't continue to develop and maintain it. Adding strength training to any exercise regime will help maintain bone density, and help prevent falls. It's also been shown to decrease the rate of neuromuscular deterioration! I used to gravitate to only yoga and cardio, but I've recently taken up strength training as well, and I'm loving it! This doesn't mean you need to enter competitions or become a power lifter. There are a ton of strength workouts available for all ages, and using different methods. I use the COBA Board, which uses resistance bands and a counterbalance board. I also recommend looking up Doc Jen Fit on any social media platform as she offers a ton of free education, and different mobility and strength techniques.
#5. I incorporated a daily meditation routine
Something not a lot of people know about me is that I have a lot of social anxiety. I've been talking in front of groups of people for YEARS, and I often still get butterflies beforehand. Incorporating meditation and breathwork has been a huge help! I use the app Insight Timer, it's free, and in my opinion just as great as all those other meditation apps that you need to pay for. I meditate for typically 10-15 minutes each morning. I need to do it first thing (before I shower, before I talk to anyone, etc) because if I don't, honestly, it likely won't get done. If you're anything like me, I have a major monkey mind, and in the morning it's firing on all cylinders. I've made meditation part of my morning routine, and it's been the best way to start the day on the right foot by calming my nerves.
There you have it! For those of you who feel you need to make some lifestyle changes, this may be a good place to start. I have many, many more suggestions, but I'll save those for another post :) Overall, listen to your body, learn about it (knowledge is power!), and work on having a healthy brain through sleep, exercise, meditation, and being mindful with who and where you spend your energy <3
Comments
Post a Comment