Hashimoto’s and Lifestyle Changes That Worked For Me

Since I came forward with my Hashimoto’s story, I’ve had so many conversations with other women telling me they have suffered with the same symptoms. A thyroid disorder is no joke, and no one truly understands it unless they have experienced it themselves. I still have flare ups from time to time, especially after an extra stressful day or not sleeping well for a few days in a row. But generally, I’m feeling the best I’ve felt in a long time and that’s because I’ve learned to manage my lifestyle and make some changes that were necessary for ME. Everyone is different, and this is certainly not advice, but I know a lot of people are struggling with similar situations and I want them to know there IS hope and there are things you can do to start to feel better, it just takes time, and some trial and error. Once you begin to recognize your triggers, things will become easier to manage. 

Here are the top 5 lifestyle changes that worked for me:

#1 Sleeping Longer

I used to think 6-7 hours of sleep should be plenty, and I would wonder why I was still tired all the time. Turns out, 6-7 hours is NOT enough for me, and I started going to bed earlier to ensure I get 8-9 hours per night. I’m an early riser, so some nights this means going to bed between 8:30 and 9pm. I know people will roll their eyes and be like, easier said than done. Believe me, I’ve gone through sleepless nights or consistently waking up at 3am. I get it. However, sleep is CRUCIAL, and a small sacrifice for me is going to bed early. Some tips: make the room as dark as you can, keep the bedroom at a cool temperature, and turn off all electronics at least 30 minutes before bed. I substituted scrolling on my phone for reading before bed, and even bought an old school alarm clock so I can completely turn my phone off; it was a game changer to help quiet my mind and prepare for sleep. 

#2 Consistent Movement 

I was finding more and more frequently that if I did too much high intensity exercise, I would flare up and be out of commission for days. This is common with Hashimoto’s. It’s the suckiest thing for me because I love the feeling of a sweaty HIIT workout. However, I realized that I needed to find something that I could do consistently to remain feeling energized. I found my body needed less HIIT and running, and more walking, mobility, yoga, and breathwork. It doesn’t matter what specific exercise you do, what matters is that you do something, anything, consistently to get the blood and lymph flowing. 

#3 Water Before Coffee 

I used to grab coffee first thing every morning! I still want my coffee READY first thing in the morning, but I make myself drink at least 16 oz of water before I get there, usually with a little lemon or a tbsp of apple cider vinegar. It helps me hydrate after sleeping for 8 hours (no more coffee headaches!), starts to flush out the system, and generally it just makes me feel so much better starting the day. 

#4 More Nutrients 

Before I took a magnifying glass to my diet, I would generally just grab anything to fill the pie hole. That would normally mean carbs, carbs, and more carbs. And not veggie carbs… processed flour carbs like bread, crackers, pasta, etc. There’s nothing wrong with eating those things, but you don’t get the vitamins and minerals from them that you do from fruits and veggies. SO, now I try to get as many nutrients as I can from my meals incorporating healthy fat, protein and fiber wherever I can. I’ve also gone gluten and dairy free (very commonly helps Hashi’s patients) & I focus on whole foods as much as possible. I still eat treats. I love chips, bacon, and chocolate… but I find balance. If I eat chips on the weekend, I try to get a big salad on Monday. We need to find a good relationship with food, and remove the labels of “good” and “bad”. The stress or guilt of what we’re eating can be more harmful than just eating the treat. 

#5 Stress Management 

This is a BIG one. Like exercise, we all need to find something consistent that will work with our daily routine. I meditate every morning before I do anything else, and this works for me. That doesn’t mean everyone needs to meditate (although it IS a great practice!).Some people might find walking to be enough, some people might like to paint or sew, some people might need to run, it’s going to look different for everyone. I’ve also learned to really listen to my body, and when I’m feeling extra agitated I do my best to remove things from my plate, and make the time to do something to help me relax. These things might include journaling, watching a movie, taking a nap, a bath, sitting outside without any distractions, no phone, etc…it varies. Stress management is KEY. 

If you have Hashimoto’s, let me know what works for you! <3


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Let's Lift Each Other Up

The top 5 things that helped me feel my best at 40