My Story with Thyroid Disease
January is thyroid awareness month, so I’m taking this opportunity to bring some support and encouragement to others suffering, or on a healing journey with thyroid disease.
I had the majority of my thyroid removed in June 2009. I developed a large goiter very quickly in my neck for no apparent reason. Within a few short months I had biopsies, ultrasounds, and surgery in fear that it was cancerous. Thankfully, it wasn’t. I went on my merry way thinking that would be the end of it, too young and unaware to ask “why?”.
Over the years I began to have more symptoms, starting with fatigue ("everybody’s tired"), deep crevices in my nail beds ("are they just weak?"), loss of hair on the outside of my eyebrows ("plucked them for years!")… nothing major to worry about right?... but then it became more debilitating. I started to have severe fatigue as if my legs were made of lead and I could hardly keep my head up after a work day. I had terrible joint pain in my fingers and toes and heart palpitations. I had worsening migraines with aura, where twice I had stroke like symptoms with numbing of the left side of my lips and left hand. I also had awful carpal tunnel to the point where I needed to ice both my wrists and and wear a brace quite frequently. I realized this was not normal, and it was not in my head.
Your thyroid is the master commander of almost every metabolic process in your body. Although the little lobe I have left keeps chugging along, the last 12 years have been a roller coaster of strange symptoms. This past summer I tested positive for both of the antibodies (anti TPO & anti TG) for Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis. Hashimoto’s is an autoimmune condition that attacks your thyroid, so the thyroid is really the innocent bystander and it's your immune system that needs work. This finally started to make so much sense to me! I do not have hypothyroidism or hyperthyroidism, but I often have symptoms of both. This is common with Hashi's because when your immune system attacks your thyroid, you may have a hyperthyroid response because more thyroid hormone is being released from your thyroid gland due to the attack. Then after the attack, you may begin to have a hypothyroid response because your thyroid gland stops releasing that extra thyroid hormone. Most people with hypothyroidism do have Hashimoto's. I began to read everything I could get my hands on about this autoimmune disease.
I have read over and over again that researchers have found that a few months on a gluten free diet can eliminate organ specific antibodies such as the thyroid antibodies. Gluten actually has a very similar molecular structure to a thyroid cell (molecular mimicry), and your body can get confused attacking your thyroid in addition to the gluten. I immediately went gluten and dairy free because these intolerance's often go hand in hand with Hashi's. I also began prioritizing sleep, moving my body every day, drinking lots of water, and trying my best to keep my stress levels down. And, I am finally feeling the best I ever have in my life! I’ll always have ups and downs, that's just part of it, but there IS hope.
I still have flare ups but not to the extent of before. Just this past week I actually had a carpel tunnel flare with pretty bad fatigue, but it only lasted about 2 days whereas it used to last at least a week. I'm still working on figuring out my triggers. I do believe gluten was a big one for me because I have noticed such a huge difference in my mental clarity and energy levels. I do know stress is a huge trigger for me. If I have something big happening in my life or a stressful few days in a row, I know I'll suffer for it a few days later. Sometimes it's only one or two symptoms, and sometimes it's more. I'm still learning, and will continue to learn, what hurts and helps me. This obviously isn't medical advice, and please see a physician if you're worried about your thyroid. However, I don't think it'll ever hurt to encourage people to check their neck, and ask the questions. You know your body better than anyone. In my opinion, there's nothing wrong with doing whatever it is you can to optimize your mind and body in order to live your best life <3
.
.
Comments
Post a Comment